If there’s one thing the Sri Lanka IT industry is famous for it’s a long list of world-class achievements. As of this morning, we can add another one to that list. Kaawo by Mogo Solutions from Sri Lanka just became one of the finalists of The Global Mobile Innovators Tournament.
For those of you who are lost the Global Mobile Innovators Tournament is a competition organized by IBM in partnership with 4YFN (4 Years From Now) and four global telecommunications companies. This is a global competition that sees contestants from across the globe. Each of these contestants faces a tough battle because the competition consists of 15 virtual challenges, 5 regional demo days and one grand finale.
Early this morning, the Mogo Team announced that their app Kaawo had gotten through to the semi-finals. A few hours later, the Mogo Team victoriously announced that they had made a successful pitch and are now in the finals!
For those of you who’ve missed it, Kaawo is a collaborative story-telling platform. With it, you can work together with your friends to create your own unique stories and then share them with the world. We first saw it at Infotel 2015 where it was arguably one of the coolest Android apps on the show floor. Currently, the Mogo Team is still at work fine-tuning things but if you want to try it out then you can request an invite here.
So what exactly has the Mogo team won as finalists? Quite a long list of valuable prizes actually.
- Return flight to Barcelona and hotel accommodation (up to 4 nights) provided for a maximum of two members per team (worth 4,000 Euros).
- Four free passes for 4YFN 2016 (22-24 Feb., including 1 day at Mobile World Congress on 25 Feb.) valued at €299 (worth 1,200 Euros).
- Their own startup demo booth at 4YFN 2016, for show-casing Kaawo (worth 2,500 Euros).
- Fast-track to the Founders & Investors sessions with global investors
- Invitation to an exclusive corporate and investors’ VIP dinner.
- Pre-arranged business development meetings.
- F6S Gold Card with over $1m worth of free deals!
Again, that list above is what they’ve won as finalists. If they win the competition then not only do they get to meet private investors but also potential revenue from commercialization of contestants’ applications, media coverage AND additional prizes.
We wish the Mogo Team the best of luck and hope they’ll proudly keep the Sri Lankan flag flying high in